For those of you who have given up coffee and are looking for a good coffee substitute or just a healthy breakfast idea, I would highly recommend the Banana Chai Protein Smoothie from ohmyveggies.
I found this recipe on Pinterest and was absolutely smitten!!! See recipe below….
Banana Chai Breakfast Smoothie Recipe:
- 1/2 c. brewed black tea or chai tea, cooled
- 1/2 c. vanilla almond milk (or any other kind of milk)
- 1/4 c. greek yogurt
- 1/2 c. rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. ground ginger (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. cardamom (optional)
- very small dash of cloves (optional)
- 1 medium banana, frozen overnight
- honey or agave nectar to taste (optional)
- Combine tea, milk, oats, cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, and cloves in a resealable bowl. Stir together and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, add banana and oat mixture to food processor or blender and process until smooth and well-combined. Add additional ginger and cardamom and sweetener if desired. (I’ve found that the amount of spice I add depends on the size of the banana that I’m using–start out with a smaller amount and add more if you need to.)Viola!!
Making the oat mixture ahead of time and refrigerating it overnight softens the oats and gives the shake a smoother texture. If you’re feeling impatient (or don’t mind lots of little bits of oatmeal in your shake), you can make this without that step–put the oats in the food processor or blender first, process until it becomes a fine powder, and then add the rest of the ingredients.