Personally, I think every Sunday should start off with homemade waffles or pancakes. My Dad used to make waffles for my brother and I on Sundays and I really miss that so I thought I would try and bring back that tradition to my house.
I’ve been dying to make some ever since I got my brand new Cuisine Art waffle maker for Christmas and decided that this Sunday would be the day! So I got up early, looked up some recipes online and got to work.
I found a basic recipe at All Recipes and made a few healthy substitutions. The waffles were delicious and I look forward to trying out different recipes in the future.
Healthy Homemade Waffles Recipe:
(yields 6 servings)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 cups OJ
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon white sugar or stevia
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Beat eggs in large bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, just until smooth.
- Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.
I made a couple extra and put them in the freezer for later in the week.