The Pegan Friendly Diet

Has anyone ever heard of or tried the pegan diet? I had never heard of it until my husband showed me a magazine article entitled Going Pegan.  The term “pegan” which was coined by Dr. Mark  Hyman, is a combination of the paleolithic diet and veganism. We decided to give it a try and let me say that I am so happy my husband brought this article to my attention!

What we do is follow the 75/25 rule where 75% of our meal is plant-based and the other 25 % comes from organic grass-fed animal protein. I have never been a huge meat eater so this is very easy for me to follow.  Its also nice to know that I can enjoy some chicken or steak once in a while just as long as its not the main event of the plate (so to speak).

According to Dr. Hyman, these are the guidelines for a pegan friendly diet:

  • PLANT -BASED FOOD Make 50 to 75 percent of your plate low-glycemic, plant-based items. Choose organic, raw and local when possible.
  • PROTEIN  Eat protein with every meal and snack. If you eat animal products  then make sure they are sustainably raised or grass-fed and no more than 25 percent of your meal.
  • GOOD-FAT FRIENDLY Eat plenty of healthy fats and omega-3-rich foods like avocados, olive oil, coconut, raw nuts and seeds.
  • BAD FATS ARE STILL BAD Avoid highly processed vegetable oils high in inflammatory omega-6 fats like canola, sunflower, corn and soybean. Instead, cook with ghee or coconut oil and use extra-virgin olive oil to make salad dressings and to drizzle over cooked vegetables.
  • LIGHT ON THE LEGUMES Eat no more than half a cup of beans each day. Choose smaller beans like lentils, black and garbanzo beans over large starchy beans.
  • GRAINS Eat no more than half a cup of low-glycemic grains like quinoa or black rice per meal (no more than 1 cup per day).
  • GO FOR GOAT Avoid dairy. If consuming, try organic goat or sheep products only as a treat.
  • NO FLOUR POWER Cut out refined and whole-grain flour products to avoid gluten and blood-sugar spikes.
  • TRICK OR TREAT Make sugar an occasional treat. Maple syrup, honey and coconut sugar are fine in small amounts, but skip added sugars.
  • DON’T FAKE IT Choose foods low in pesticides, antibiotics, hormones and GMOs, and avoid chemicals, additives, preservatives, dyes, MSG and artificial sweeteners.

I will admit that some of these guidelines are hard for me. I have to do better about my portions when it comes to grains, I am in love with Fairlife milk, I like goat cheese but I also love other varieties like cheddar and feta, and I have a love affair with chocolate!  So I just have to modify and most importantly, LISTEN TO MY BODY!

For me, its about evolving and eating in a way that matches my values and lifestyle. I may never give up dairy or wheat or even sugar completely but any diet that encourages eating organic, grass-fed, humane and sustainably-raised poultry or beef is A-OK in my book.


If you are interested in learning more about the pegan diet, then I encourage you to visit this website:  http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/11/07/pegan-paleo-vegan/.

Have a great week!

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “The Pegan Friendly Diet

  1. Shannon says:

    I’m sorry, since this is my first time to comment here. But how is taking a life from an animal who wants to live NOT cruel? I’m guessing that someone who built years of trust with you so that (one day) he can suddenly and unexpectedly put a bullet in your head might be considered slightly…ahem…unethical. (Psst. It is.) Vegan — or Pegan — for purely selfish reasons (i.e. to lose weight, reduce carbs, etc.) is by no means vegan. It is just another diet.

      • Shannon says:

        Okay, so that didn’t come out quote right. We are all selfish beings to be sure (including me), but the word ‘vegan’ is abstaining from known exploitation of others, so you can see how adding the ‘p’ for meat/dairy/eggs cancels that out. Pomnivore is probably the more correct fabrication.

        PS – You can be vegan tomorrow, if you like. It’s that easy. 😀

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s