Hello there, blog! It’s been a while. I’ve missed you!
It’s nice to finally get a chance to write a blog post. I’ve been meaning to post for a while but life as a working Mom with a 15 month-old has kept me pretty busy.
There are so many things that I’ve been wanting to share here on my blog! I’m not really sure where to begin so I’ll just start with our weekends and how we manage our jobs, household, pets, around raising Marcos and other fun stuff.
On the weekends, Oscar and I like to take Marcos on what I like to call adventure outings. This weekend, Oscar took Marcos to John Prince Park for some one-on-one daddy and son quality time at the playground. John Prince Park is probably my favorite park to go to with Marcos. It’s got multiple playgrounds for different age groups, a splash park, dog park and lots of shaded areas with tables for picnics. I am hoping to have Marcos’s second birthday party there next year in April.
Marcos is a very active and curious toddler so we try to make sure that he is getting plenty of exercise and opportunities to burn off some of that busy toddler energy and learn about the world around him.
The other places we like to visit on the weekends besides local parks and playgrounds are:
- children’s museums
- kid’s gyms
- indoor play areas at the local mall
- friend’s houses
- grandpa’s pool
- the farmer’s market
- the beach
- aquariums and the zoo
Oscar and I work full-time so Marcos goes to daycare at a local church’s school/academy during the weekdays. I feel so fortunate that we can take Marcos to a place that he loves and where the caregivers love him. Right now he is having a ball in their summer camp program. He comes home with artwork each week and each Friday is water day which he really enjoys. Marcos had a little separation anxiety in the beginning but now at drop-off, our little man waves good-bye and heads towards his favorite toys. I can’t believe how independent he is becoming! It makes me proud but also breaks my heart a little each time.
Because our mornings and early evenings can be a little hectic, Oscar and I have come up with a good morning and evening routine that goes something like this.
- 5:30am – I wake up, get myself ready and enjoy a little quiet time before Marcos wakes up.
- 6:15 am – Oscar gets up, walks the dogs and gets himself ready while I get Marcos up and ready.
- 6:45am – Marcos and I have a little breakfast together, read books and watch a little Sesame Street.
- 7:30am – Oscar leaves for work with Marcos and I clean-up, finish getting dressed, say good-bye to the pooches and am out the door around 8am.
- 5:30-5:40pm – Arrive home, greet, let the dogs out in the backyard and change clothes
- 5:45pm – Pack-up the stroller and go for a family walk with the dogs
- 6:15 – 6:30pm – come home, Oscar feeds the dogs while I feed Marcos and myself dinner (or Oscar and I take turns)
- 6:30-6:45pm – playtime with Marcos
- 6:50 – 7pm – Marcos’s Bathtime (while the other preps dinner)
- 7:15-7:30pm – get Marcos ready for bed – pjs, bottle (baba) and story time
- 7:30pm – bedtime (Marcos is in his crib sleeping)
- 7:30 – 8:30pm – Oscar and I have dinner and watch the news
- 8:30pm – Clean-up kitchen and prep meals for the following day
- 9:00pm – shower, read and go to sleep
Oscar and I take turns cleaning up the kitchen and getting Marcos’s lunch bag ready the night before which saves us a lot of time in the morning. I also shower, prepare the coffee maker, my breakfast and lunch and lay out my outfit the night before. This Mama is very organized!
We may need to make some minor adjustments to our morning and evening routine when the school year begins and traffic picks up in the fall, but this schedule seems to work out easily for our summer time routine.
Some other things we do to stay organized and sane is hire a house cleaner for a once-a-month deep cleaning. We plan our meals and food prep on the weekends. I also do one load of laundry almost each day since I prefer not to have it all waiting for me on the weekend. I pick-up and tidy around the house each night for 15 minutes before bed. We also go on family walks with the dogs and with Marcos in the stroller in the evenings. It allows Oscar and I a chance to catch up and be with the family. It’s also fun and it’s exercise! I just try to get as much stuff out of the way so I can enjoy and focus on my little Marcos.
So in case you are wondering what life is like with a 15 month old baby/toddler, it is AWESOME! Marcos is a healthy and happy-go-lucky little boy and I feel so fortunate to be his Mom.
I love our weekend outings and adventures. I love bath time, story time and just chasing him around the house. I love preparing healthy meals for him to take to school and just spoiling him with cuddles, kisses and tickles. He fills me up with so much joy inside that I just want to stay focused in the moment and let go of any to-do lists and worries about time and work. I love being his Mom and I embrace all of the challenges that come with being a parent.
Right Marcos is into:
- Board Books – Brown Bear, Brown Bear and the Little Blue Truck are his favorites!
- Stacking cups (He goes nuts over Red Solo Cups
- Refrigerator Magnets
- Push toys and toys he can ride
- Taking objects out of their boxes and putting them back in <== Mommy likes this game!
- Mum or mama
At Marcos’s last doctor appointment which was last week, he measured 33 inches tall and weighs 26 pounds. He is in the 90th percentile for his height! He is going to be a very tall and handsome young man. And smart too, like his Daddy.
Well that’s all I have time for but I will be sure to check back in with you and keep you posted.
Until next time!!